This took a lot longer to get finished than I planned. Again it was mostly due to the migraines and the scrapbooking but also due in some part to a slight lack of interest in this page of the book.
I had been really looking forward to doing Blackwork for the first time and the pictures of it looked gorgeous. I started with the left side after doing the Four-sided stitch.
I wasn’t completely happy with the way it turned out as it’s really just a more complicated backstitch. Complicated as you have to try to get the back to look the same as the front as you need to make sure you don’t have anything showing through the fabric. My back definitely does not look the same as the front. I do not enjoy backstitch, even when it’s dressed up as Blackwork. My lines definitely look a bit wiggly.
I was still keen to carry on with it though and thought it’d be better once I got started on the large motif. It wasn’t. I couldn’t get the lines to go straight. They were all higgledy-piggledy and I wasn’t happy with it at all.
Then I added the gold and like magic, most of it all straightened out. The gold thread seemed to pull it into shape and tidy everything up. Ok, so the gold thread was a nightmare to work with and I thought for a while that I was going to run out of it, but I enjoyed doing that part because I could see what effect it was having. I rather like it now. The gold really glistens in a subtle way. I don’t think I’d take on a large Blackwork project but I’m glad I’ve tried it now.
The next page of this is Assisi, which I hope to get done this month if I can get my rotation back on some sort of track. That’s another technique that I haven’t tried before so I’m keen to have a go at it. After that it goes onto the more complex stitches such as Hardanger.