I’ve finally got around to finishing this. The delay was partly the craft room clean-up and partly not having any suitable fabric for the backing. I kept looking online but couldn’t find anything that I liked enough. I found a nice spotty fabric when I was in Hobbycraft last week, and although it was more than I really wanted to pay, I did like it so I splurged.
This quilt is for Sammie and will go on one of the sofas for her to lie on. She loves her other quilt, which is folded up on one of my craft room chairs for her. I may need to make her a few more as they’re a nice size to practise with and she doesn’t mind if the blocks aren’t lined up very well 😉
She claimed it before it was even finished. Have you ever tried to sew binding on when there’s a cat lying on the part that isn’t in the machine? She also ran off with the binding while I was still making it.
She even helped me to photograph it. I made the mistake of lying it on the bed and she must have thought I was making a nice cosy play area for her.
I did try to get a photo of the back but she was in playful mode so this is as good as I could get.
I was pleased with how the binding went on compared to the other quilt that I made. Having a decent machine helped massively as the new one just sailed over all the seams. The quilting is just straight lines. I was going to have a go at free motion quilting on this but changed my mind. (lost my nerve)
I may have a go on a piece of fabric, with batting and backing, rather than risk spoiling a quilt that I’ve spent a while making.
The quilt is nowhere near perfect but it’s better than the last one and I’ve learnt quite a lot while making it. I might make a wee one for Frodo next, to welcome him to his new home in a couple of months.