It’s really starting to look like a garden now. I’ve been planting and sowing and generally keeping very busy out there.
Stephen made a door for the cat enclosure so I can start to level the ground around it and then put some planters of herbs next to it.
I’m using an old frame to train them up, and can easily attach canes to the sides for some taller support when I need it. I’ve had some problems with the local wildlife being attracted to the new beds so I’ve given my courgettes some protection while they get established.
It’s one thing to feed the birds all winter but they now think that I’m putting out a splendid new buffet for them. I need to figure out how to net the strawberries that are hanging from the stand as I’ve surprised pigeons and blackbirds on there so far, and I’d quite like to eat some of the berries myself.
I’ve had to start to replace all the twine that I used to divide my raised beds into square feet as something had been at it and some had been broken. I’m suspecting Mrs. Blackbird may be the culprit as she has been rummaging for small twigs, roots etc. I think the twine may have looked like good nest material. Something has been digging in the raised beds too, but I’m not sure what. It could be birds, squirrels, foxes or the local cats.
Whatever it was, I’m taking steps to protect where I’ve just added plants and seeds. I’ve used green wire to replace the twine too. I don’t think that’ll break so easily.
This bed has got onions, pak choi, a pepper plant, marigolds and nasturtiums. I’ve sown radishes and carrots too. We found the makings of some frames to cover the beds, so Stephen has helped me to assemble those and I’ve covered the first one with mesh to keep the wildlife out.
I’ve got loads to do yet, but I’m really enjoying myself out there.