I’m still working on part three of Arizona at the moment but thought it was time for an update. I’m loving the texture of this part. This is where I’m up to at the moment but I’m hoping to finish part three soon. In between working on Arizona, I made a little holder for my tape measure. It was a kit on my crochet magazine and was a very quick make. Hopefully it’ll stop me from losing my measure again. A big jammy dodger doesn’t hide that well 😉
I’ve just finished part two of the Arizona CAL and I’m really enjoying it. The pattern is interesting and there are some techniques that are new to me.
This is how it looked at the end of part one:
This is where it’s up to now. I’ve photographed it folded over a couple of times as it’s easier to see the detail.It’s difficult to see what the edges are like from the photo. It’s something that I haven’t done before and it was really fun to do. It’s a tall stitch that’s then folded over and secured with a row of double crochet. When I crochet the next row, the folded over stitches will form something that looks like a pleat.
Design by Pippin Poppycock
I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was starting a new CAL. I didn’t start it as soon as the first part was released as I was busy with other things but I’ve now made a start. The CAL is on the Pippin Poppycock blog and is quite gorgeous. I love the original colour palette so used that rather than one of the other ones that were suggested. Isn’t it striking?!
I’m using Stylecraft Special DK. It’s such a soft, squishy yarn and it washes beautifully.
I’ve just finished part one, which was really interesting to do. First you make eight squares and then join them in a row. Once you’ve crocheted down the sides for a few rows, it looks like this.
Here’s a close-up of one of the sections to give a better idea of how it looks. The bobble rows took forever but were worth it. This is going to be lovely and textured if the first part is anything to go by. Just look at how much the bobbles are raised! I’m well behind on this as part five has just been released so I’ve got plenty to do on this before I catch up. I don’t mind how long it takes though as I’m loving working on it.
I’m definitely on a roll this year. I was determined to make this the year of finishing things and so far I’m chuffed with my progress. This is the third crochet blanket to be finished.
Ok, so it didn’t turn out quite as planned but it’ll do.
This started off as a temperature blanket and would have had two more rounds to take it from Jan 1st to about mid November. I realised after a while that it was going to be too big, both for using and for the washing machine so took the decision to end it early.
When I’d finished it, I realised it looked not quite right. When I checked, three of the sides have the correct 9 hexies, one has ten and two have eight. Hmmm, no idea how that happened but if I do a hexie blanket again, I’ll make sure to keep an eye on that.
I loved doing join-as-you-go. It was so much quicker than having lots of pieces to sew together at the end and it encouraged me to sew in the ends as I went. It’s quite a sturdy join, considering how few places it’s attached and I like how it looks.I’ve only just got started on the new Arizona blanket, as I’ve been busy with other things, but hopefully I’ll have an update on that soon.
It felt so good finishing the Carousel blanket that I immediately fished out the squares from the Dancing in the rain blanket and started to join them. I decided to use a more decorative join than I did for Dancing under the stars as I like how it looks on Carousel. Plus it’s a lot less fiddly and I find it faster to do.
I did have some incentive to get this finished. I posted recently that I intended to use some of my existing stash before buying any more. I had the best of intentions as I have a LOT of yarny stash, but then I saw a new CAL being advertised and I caved in and got the yarn pack for it.
In my defence, the design is gorgeous and the colours are stunning. The CAL starts next month so I’ll be posting regular updates on it. I’m sure you’ll see why I HAD to do it 😉
I’ve also spotted a CAL in Simply Crochet magazine, which I can use stash yarn for. I might just do that one too.
I’ve finally finished the Carousel blanket, thanks partly to taking it to craft club at work. I’m really chuffed as it’s such a pretty design and looks a lot more complicated than it actually was.
It’s a bit tricky to get a photo of it all but I managed by moving some furniture to make space on the floor.
It looks nice on the single bed but I think it’ll be put away for now as the cats would love it too!A few close-ups.
I didn’t have many finishes last year so I’m planning to make 2018 the year of getting things completed. I’m really happy to have the first finish just two weeks into the year. I’ve set myself the challenge of 5 crochet finishes on Ravelry, and hopefully will have several cross stitch projects joining those. No stash buying until I’ve made a considerable dent in the stuff that I already have.
Next on my list is the temperature blanket. I think that I’ll end it after the current round as I’m not loving as much as I did initially and it’s the right size now for a lap blanket.
I’ve finished another round of hexagons so time for another photo.
Plenty of Plums and some Raspberries appearing along with more of the Heather in this round. On a couple of days it was close to using the Cherry which is for the days that reach over 30º. On those days it was a bit warm under there while I was attaching the day’s hexie. It’s going to be a lovely snuggly blanket once it’s finished.