A slight obsession with books

Crafts, cats and books


Sunken Treasures #4

I’ve got a bit more done on this one and have now completed all the stitching on the top half.


The straight section had some interesting bands. Band 8 consists of two rows of backstitch that are then laced with contrasting colours. Band 9 is Satin stitch diamonds and band 10 is eyelets.


The angled section was fun to stitch. there’s cross stitch, upright cross stitch, cross stitch with straight stitch, backstitch to make an arrow design, more backstitch, Cretan stitch, cross stitch with backstitch, and finally in the corner is a quarter eyelet. I love the different effects you can get with just the basic stitches.


I’ve even started to add some of the beads, but I have to do that when Sammie is having a nap upstairs, as there’s just too much potential for disaster there ūüėČ


There are quite a few beads to be added so I need to get cracking with those, but I don’t think it’ll take long to finish the stitching. I’m keen to get this one done now so I can start something else. I’m in the process of completely rearranging and decluttering my craft room at the moment, and I keep finding charts and kits that I want to stitch. I seriously don’t need to buy any more stash for quite a while.



Flower Sampler Book – Inside cover pages

This is the scheduled three-weekly post for the SAL that I’m doing with several other crafty blogs.

This time I thought I’d do the inside back cover. This features pulled thread work, not my favourite thing to do. It just doesn’t feel right pulling those threads so tightly that they leave holes, although I do realise that is the whole point.


It should have buttonhole stitch on top of that centre Four-sided stitch section, but I just didn’t want to do it. I didn’t like the way it looked in the provided pictures and I was pretty sure that my version would look even more untidy. So, as it’s my sampler book, I left it off.

The other stitches on there are Pulled backstitch, Pulled satin stitch and Pulled eyelets.

I had time to spare after stitching this, probably because I didn’t do the buttonhole stitch, so I did the inside front cover too. It serves as an index page and is just a list of the various pages done in backstitch. It didn’t take long.


As you can see, I haven’t pressed either page yet, which is why the index page looks so lopsided. I need to press them once I’ve worked out where the edges are, so they can be firmly creased with the iron. Once that’s done, I’ll stitch them into the covers.

The only page left to do now is the pattern darning so I’ll do that for the next update hopefully, and then I’ll just need to do the assembly. Hooray!

Next though I’m going back to Precious Dreams and Sunken Treasures.

For the stitch-a-long I’m linking up to these lovely blogs:
Avis at Sewing beside the sea
Claire at Claire93
Kate at Tall tales from Chiconia
Gun at Rutigt
Alison¬†at¬†Minerva’s meanderings
Jule at From the boudoir
Elizabeth at Garden 4 therapy
Wendy¬†at¬†The crafter’s apprentice

Do pop over and have a look at their beautiful creations.